Hi Wolfgang, Holger and others,

Things have become a bit complicated, at least in my mind, and I would like
them to be clarified a bit. That is why I thought it would not be bad to
start a new thread.

It looks like we will soon have two Portuguese translations of debian-edu-
doc soon: One .pt and one pt-pt (see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00065.html).
When the first signs emerged at hosted weblate that pointed in that
direction, it was unclear to me what the benefits of that could be (see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00013.html). As José
clarified that these two versions have different audiences, I gave him a go
(see https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00015.html).
A few days later, a 100% translated pt-version of debian-edu-doc showed up
at hosted weblate which I mistakenly committed to master. As Wolfgang
rightly pointed out, this was the same version as the pt-pt version (see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00033.html). This was not
the intention, at least not José's intention (see the discussion at weblate
at which I pointed in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00036.html). But soon we now
should have a situation with two different Portuguese translations (pt and
pt-pt), the way José had it in mind initially.

However, it now seems that having two Portuguese translations is somewhat
problematic.
Wolfgang explained (
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00054.html) that when
installing Debian Edu using debian-(edu)-installer, Portuguese-speaking
residents of Africa do not have an easy way to choose Portuguese as their
installation language and cannot even choose the to them normally
applicable pt locale, because Debian doesn't offer it.

Also on a technical level problems seem to show up, although I don't fully
understand this element of a complicated situation: While a separate
debian-edu-doc package is built for each language, I don't fully understand
how missing the locale pt in Debian would prevent having a debian-edu-doc-
pt package, as Holger seems to point out, but maybe I misunderstand
https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2021/03/msg00062.html.
In my opinion, a separate debian-edu-doc-pt package would have the
advantage that Portuguese-speaking Debian users would at least be able to
find the Debian Edu documentation in their usual spelling, even though they
may have to settle for a spelling that is less common for them in many of
the programs they installed.
In addition to technical concerns, I also can understand that other
concerns such as packaging workload and limited time to get ready in time
for bullseye's release, should have to be taken in consideration.

So it is not clear to me what direction we should take in this matter, but
whatever direction we take, I believe we should also involve José in the
decision-making process. After all, Debian greatly honours people who get
things done and when it comes to the translation into Portuguese of debian-
edu-doc, it is mainly José who got things done.

Looking forward to your considerations.

Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert