On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:08:13AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2012-06-03 10:39 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> >> Note that this holds whether or not these packages are "M-A: same".
> >
> > No, because these packages are architecture specific, so they are not
> > co-installable. For example libc0.1-dev and libc6-dev might have
> > conflicting files, but you can't install libc0.1-dev (kfreebsd-amd64
> > only) together with libc6-dev, unless they are marked "M-A: same".
>
> Marking them "M-A: same" is not going to resolve these conflicts,
> because libc0.1-dev and libc6-dev still belong to different package
> sets, and with --force-overwrite you can install libc0.1-dev along
> libc6-dev already.

My point there is that given the package is that marking as "M-A: same"
also implicitly means that the packager has verified that the package is
not going to conflict with any other file. And if he/she failed to do
so, it's a serious bug in the package, like we handled file conflicts
bugs before the multiarch era.

Currently theses packages are not marked as "M-A: same", so it's not a
bug in a package, but rather a bug in a multiarch specification allowing
this.

> >> This means they would need to have the same name (probably libc-dev) on
> >> all architectures.
> >>

> > Yes, thinking about that, either we want to make it fully multiarch, in
> > that case all libc*-dev needs to be renamed to the same name, or we
> > should add conflicts to prevent someone trying to install for example
> > libc6.1-dev along with libc6-dev.
>
> Renaming seems to be the best long-term solution to me, but using
> conflicts is probably safer for wheezy.  For instance,
> kfreebsd-kernel-headers:kfreebsd-i386 contains files clashing with both
> libc6:i386 and linux-libc-dev:i386:

I came to the same conclusion.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurel...@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net