On 2024-05-20 10:38, Chris Hofstaedtler wrote:
> * Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <jo...@debian.org> [240520 07:35]:
> > [..] But maybe it [glibc's postinst] should be doing some
> > more involved checks about what PID 1 is? It could then make sure to only
> > call
> > systemd telinit if systemd is pid 1. [..]
>
> Well, that would probably suck. Putting the knowledge when to call
> telinit, and a specific telinit, into a ton of different things
> makes all those things hard to get right, hard to update, the usual.

On the glibc side, this part has always been a pain to handle (a bit
less since upstart got removed). And the systemd decision to increase
the use of dlopen() will make this step even more necessary.

Therefore I wonder if it could be solved using the trigger mechanism,
basically glibc saying "I got upgraded" and the packages, being systemd,
sysv or any other system can then decide what to do instead of
hardcoding that on the glibc side.

That would also simplify the chrootless case a bit.

aurel...@aurel32.net                     http://aurel32.net