On Sat, 2024-07-13 at 12:53 -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We currently ship docker version 20.10 in Debian oldstable, stable and
> currently testing. This is an EOL version that I really don't think Debian
> trixie should be shipping with.
>
> I've been working over the last couple of weeks (months?) on updating
> podman and docker to recent versions, including:
>
> docker.io -> 26.1
> containerd -> 1.7
> podman -> 5
>
> All of these packages are built successfully in experimental and I have
> received test reports that they appear to work fine. So let's get them into
> unstable/testing!
>
> While doing so, I've encountered that those new versions really require
> updated versions of golang-grpc and protobuf. I've been looking at that set
> of packages last month, see the thread starting at [1]. The situation is
> not pretty.

[snip]

> Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Busan this year. It would be
> amazing if these transitions could be discussed in person and a plan could
> be devised that would end with trixie shipping a modern version of docker
> and related packages.

  I will be attending DebCamp and DebConf, and during those couple of
weeks can spend some focused time helping get these newer versions into
unstable. Especially with Reinhard staging a lot of this in
experimental, hopefully there won't be anything too unexpected or
problematic.

  We're about six months out from the trixie freezes starting. I think
that's more than enough time to complete these transitions and be
confident adjacent dependencies haven't been accidentally broken in
some manner.

On Sun, 2024-07-14 at 02:37 +0000, weepingclown wrote:
> First of all thank you for your hard work. I would like to help you
> out, but am limited currently in time and my golang knowldege as a
> whole. But my understanding is that the go team plans to have a bof
> at the debconf this time, so probably this topic can be brought up
> and hopefully you get good reinforcements. I myself will try to be
> invovled depending on my availability.

  I don't think I've seen a Go Team BoF, but I did add a Go Team
listing to the sprints wiki page: https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/24/Sprints.

Mathias