Hi Jawahr,

> Hi - I’m in the process of resurrecting some old PA-RISC hardware for fun,

Great! Both C8000 and J6750 do work, e.g. we use such machines as debian buildd
servers: http://unstable.buildd.net/index-hppa.html

I assume you mean: http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/

> I tried the discs (burned to cd-rw) on both a C8000 and a J6750 - in both
> cases I get a ‘Bad LIF Image’ error upon attempting to boot from CD via prom.

Which iso image did you tried? debian-7.0-hppa-CD-1.iso or
debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso ?
Are you sure you burned the iso image correctly, I mean how did you burned it,
with which tool?
Maybe the cd-drives don't accept cd-rw discs ? Maybe you could try standard CDs
instead?

Alternatively, if you have the possibility to boot via network (tftp image:
http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/lifimage) it is the easiest solution.

> I don’t have the full error message on me right now - but wanted to ask if
> anyone had tried these images successfully

I just tried again the NETINST iso image
(http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso) by
booting it from hard disc (not from CD!).
This is what I did:
- wget http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/hppa/debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso
- put in a SCSI hard disc which is not used (you can do that on any Linux box,
it does not need to be the PARISC machine)
- dd if=debian-7.0-hppa-NETINST-1.iso.2 of=/dev/sdc
- reboot the PA-RISC machine and on the firmware prompt instruct it to boot
from this disc:

Main Menu: Enter command > bo fwscsi.5
Interact with IPL (Y, N, Q)?> y
Booting...
Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 0

HARD Booted.
palo ipl 1.95 root@mkhppa3 Thu Apr 17 20:15:17 UTC 2014
Boot image contains:
    0/vmlinux32 3215722(0) bytes @ 0xbf000
    0/vmlinux64 4137134(0) bytes @ 0x3d0800
    0/ramdisk 6363642 bytes @ 0x7c3000
This worked.

> and what I should be looking for to provide info for debugging.

I assume you get the "Bad LIF Image" error because firmware failed to load from
the CD drive.
Does it times out?

> Both installs were via serial console per the parisc-linux wiki page.

as here: https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation

Helge