On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:29:41AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Have you sent an email to the administrators of spamcop informing them
> of the sizes of the ISPs in question?

why the hell should I, or anyone else, have to go out of my way to
inform some third party how large the ISP i work for is?  or how much
mail volume passes through the mail server.  even ignoring the fact that
that could be commercial in-confidence information, isn't the act of
demanding that just as bad as "reply with REMOVE to unsubscribe"?

what happens next week when rival company spampig starts up, followed by
spambusters inc, and a dozen more competitors over as many weeks.
should i have to submit my details to all of them just because they want
to run a business?

> It seems that everyone who's complaining about spamcop has not done
> so.  Using a DNSBL without taking note of the proceedures for using it
> (in this case informing them of the size of a big ISP that seems to
> get hit too easily) is not the smart thing to do...

the people who are complaining about spamcop are NOT using it.  the
people complaining are those who have been adversely affected by
spamcop's idiot automation.

there are many RBLs around.  some good, some bad.  spamcop is one of the
worst.

at least the other RBLs have technical criteria for being listed - i.e.
running an open relay or proof of being a repeat spam source.  by
contrast, even forged Received: headers can get you listed in spamcop's
RBL.

craig

--
craig sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>