--On Tuesday, March 23, 2004 21:48 +0100 Marcin Owsiany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 06:38:11PM +0100, Andreas John wrote:
Hello!

I would recommend to take both and tell us about your experience ;-)
<SNIP>
Please note that 3Ware Escalade 8006-2LP only does RAID levels 0 and 1,
in which there is no need for checksum calculations AFAIK. What
advantage does 3ware have then?

Simple, you do one write from main memory, it does the two from it's buffer, lower overhead.

Plus you get hot swap....The onboard fast trak DOES NOT HANDLE DRIVE FAILURES AND WILL LOCK YOUR MACHINE HARD!

'Voice of experience!'

We have both here @mw, I've used both in the past. The 3Ware is simply a better controller, and it will be faster. By how much depends very much on your situation, and in the event of a failure it'll keep going, plus with 3dmd and/or your own scritps you'll know the failure happened.

--
Michael Loftis
Modwest Sr. Systems Administrator