Russell Coker wrote:

> If you gave me a Promise card I would not use it, most reports of them are
> not
> positive.

For what it's worth - and it's probably not worth alot, I have had an okay
experience with the Promise 2-port SATA RAID card in mirror mode on a
not heavily loaded machine.  Despite a painful installation, once running
it did work okay, and the SATA seems to eliminate the "can't hotswap"
problem on the Promise card -- I was able to yank SATA or SATA-style power
connectors to the drive on repeated tests and it kept working.

Would I recommend this card over a 3Ware?  Never - I've been extremely
happy with the 3Ware cards, especially their larger RAID5 capable models.
Would I use it again in a pinch -- if I needed something _that day_ and
my local vendor didn't have the 3Ware in stock?  I would.

Just my $0.02.

-Ed