    AR> I also would imagine that some day there will be free Java2
    AR> implementation. And we could drop non-free :)

Well, I believe anyone who -wants- there to be a Free Java 2
implementation in Debian could probably work on one of the following
projects:

        * Kaffe: http://www.kaffe.org/

        A GPL'd JVM, currently at JDK 1.1.x level with some stuff
        missing.

        * Japhar: http://www.japhar.org/

        An LGPL'd JVM, currently somewhere around 1.1. No standard
        classes.

        * GCJ: http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

        A native compiler for Java. Somewhere around 1.1 at this
        point.

        * Classpath: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/classpath.html

        A "clean room" reimplementation of the standard Java
        classes. Make Japhar work without JDK.

If someone is really hep to make Java 2-based programs part of Debian,
I think they should start here.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou