On 9/14/05, Greg Cockburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi list,

I am running sid, with dist-upgrade as of yesterday, with the new 4.3.2 kde packages, looking good.

I am  having one problem though, which someone might be able to help me with.

When I startup amarok, I get a little dialogue box which reports:  "arts-engine claims it cannot play mp3 files".  I have searched on google for this problem, but only see people reporting this on Fedora and Suse with respect to not distributing mp3 decoders due to licensing.  Has debian gone a similar way?  Or is there something else I need to install, or is there some file in ~/.kde I need to remove to get the engine to work.

Have you tried with a different engine in Amarok? (packages amarok-xine or amarok-gstreamer).
Arts is on it's way out anyway... and if you DO need it, you can still setup both engines to use
Arts for sound output...

cheers,
Christian