On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:31:06AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> [snip]
> > > (Herbert did the same in woody-p-u with 2.4 backports, they had to be
> > > removed before sarge at the price of some user confusion who had t-p-u
> > > in their sources.list.)
> >
> > Well. The packages have smaller version than the sid ones, so there should
> > be
> > no such confusion.
>
> The problem is a different one. Such a package will have a higher version
> number than the next stable security update. It will also block legitimate

He, they will even have a different package name, so ...

But maybe you mean the meta-packages, we could chose not to include them, but
then if the kernel team and the security team work more closely together, we
could even provide security for those kernels.

> sarge updates because of its version unless it is removed, which is an
> unattractive option because the users who need exactly this version can't
> reinstall it any more, and the package still blocks security updates on
> every machine it was installed.

Only the metapackages, and sure, we can remove them from the backports. All
the other cases have the kernel version embedded in their package name, so
there could be no such issue.

> > BTW, how are the mips/mipsel integration going ?
>
> Experimental has now a linux-patch-2.6-mips package.

What is still blocking at this time to get mips integrated into linux-2.6 ?
The last time this came over, i think most of the issues you mentioned as
blocking where solved in the current batch of packages, but maybe there are
soem remaining, could you do a new list, so we can look them over and fix them
if needed ?

> > Any chance to get those in
> > for 2.6.12-7 ? Do you need any help or something ? Will you be in Oldenbourg
> > this year ?
>
> Yes, I'll see you there.

Cool, i will bring my asus WL-HDD2.5 box, which supposedly has a mips chip on
it (broadcom one), and we can try getting linux and a debian derivative
working on it. Hey, i would even sponsor such a box to someone interested in
gettint a real debian on it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther