Hi guys,

this is basically a re-hash of
http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/231-Thoughts-about-the-Debian-kernel.html,
which I published on my blog on sunday. Since the article received
less response than I originally expected, I would like to solicit your
opinions and answers in a more direct way.

I am one of the guys who builds Linux kernels locally, from vanilla
sources. What I don't like in this approach is that I do not get the
distribution patches and might miss one of the kernel security
patches, since I am way too busy to keep track of LKML any more.
otoh, I am kind of a version number junkie when it comes to the
kernel, so the Debian kernel sources even in sid frequently are not
current enough. So, what I want to have is a compromise between a
vanilla kernel and the Debian distribution kernels, built in a way
that the images integrate well with Debian.

This message contains a few questions and wishes directed towards the
Debian kernel team which I failed to get addressed on #debian-kernel
and on the blog.

  * The build process is not very transparent
    * Documentation in the README files seems quite incomplete
      * In my opinion, answers to these questions are missing:
        * Which steps happen in which order (prose)?
        * Are there any hooks to interfere with the build process?
        * How to keep patches from being applied?
        * How to add local patches?
        * Is there anything like dpatch-edit-patch for the
          (home-grown?) patch system in the Debian kernel source package?
        * How do I control generation of the
          kernel-image-2.x-<flavour>_2.x.y-z_<arch>.deb helper packages?
          They do not seem to be controlled by debian/arch/<arch>/defines
          as the real kernel debs do.
        * Can I have patches from a kernel-patch-foo Package automatically
          applied for certain flavours?
        * Are there hooks for building external modules?
        * Are there debian/rules parameters or environment variables to
          select only a certain kernel to be built (like for debugging
          problems)?
        * Can build of helper packages (-headers, -doc, -patch, -source,
          -tree) be disabled?
        * For local kernel builds, should one use the Debian kernel build
          system, or continue to use make-kpkg as it was usual previously?
    * there is nothing like a kernel HOWTO
    * The Kernel Handbook needs to be fleshed out in these regards. I
      might want to contribute once I have accumulated the knowledge needed
      to write the passages.
  * Patches like, for example, amd64-int3-fix need to be better commented
    * I think it is necessary that a patch file contains information
      * what does the patch do?
      * why is it applied?
      * is it necessary only on certain archs?
      * is it necessary only if certain drivers are in use?
      * what does happen when it is omitted?
      * is it security relevant?
      * CAN/CVE number, if applicable.
  * Which role does module-assistant play here?
    * If one builds kernels with make-kpkg, should one make use of make-kpkg
    also build the modules, or should one use module-assistant instead?

I would really appreciate any hints.

Best regards
Marc