On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 07:05:41PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can a company release a binary - or the disassembled source to one - under
> the GPL? Does that make it DFSG-free? By your argument it would.

They could certainly release the disassembled source under the GPL. Whether
or not it would be a useful thing to do is another question.

> If this were just a minor screwing with the code, then I would accept the
> cleanup offered by the maintainer. But serious code obfusication can make the
> code worthless for editing, to the point where the dissassembled assembly
> could actually be easier to read. (Quick: if OOOO00OO0 = 00001, and OOO000OO0
> = 00010, what's OOO00OO0 + OOO000OO0 + 000?) It's just not source at that
> point.

Well, the point is that what we have in this case *is* source, and we *can*
distribute it.

So rather than arguing about that, we should be asking whether we *wish*
to distribute it. And that discussion probably doesn't belong on this
particular list any more.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
That secret you've been guarding, isn't.