On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:47:15PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> So, to be clear, you're claiming that Don, Steve and Branden are
> misinterpreting the DFSG in claiming that the GPL is DFSG-unfree if
> GPL#8 is exercised.

No.

It's people who have claimed that the GPL is not free on other issues
that I'm concerned about.

> (If your interpretation of DFSG#10 is used--"all DFSG terms must
> be evaluated such that the following licenses pass"--that is what
> you're claiming.)

I can see how you can arrive at that conclusion, but I don't agree that
that is correct.

The problem, here, is that "GPL" really represents a class of licenses.
That class includes a [currently empty] set of licenses which prevent
distribution in certain countries.  That set is non-free, but that
doesn't make the GPL not be an example of a free license.

--
Raul