On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, David Nusinow wrote:
> This is going to sound really bad, and I'm not trying to stir up
> trouble in saying this, but perhaps the guidelines need weakening?

So we should be willing to give up more of the freedom that we now
need in order to have a work in Debian?

> current interpretation of freedom is more restrictive than that of
> the FSF,

It's not that we're more restrictive than the FSF. It's almost exactly
the opposite. We're more expansive with the freedoms that we
require. In many cases we've decided that specific freedoms are
important, and the FSF has decided that being pragmatic is better than
retaining the freedom.

> I echo his point that this probably needs to be justified.

In all of the cases to date, where we've gone against the
interpretation of the FSF, we've done so with very careful
justification of the reasoning behind our difference in opinion, and
how that springs from the DFSG.

The few thousand messages on the GFDL are a reasonable example of the
process of justification that we have gone through.

Don Armstrong

--
Identical parts aren't.
 -- Beach's Law