On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Josselin Mouette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The "problem" with the AGPLv3 is that you can argue the distribution
> requirement is onerous. It may be a bit more onerous for a dissident

Since anyone can get a free, anonymous account at any number of free VCS
solutions, and since a dissident only need share source with those they're
already permitting remote access over a network to, I do not see any
situation where this would cause a problem.

> but frankly we are talking about ridiculous costs here

Really?  Let's look at some options;

BerliOS - free.
Gna! - free.
Launchpad - free.
Savannah - free.
Sourceforge - free (with advertising)

All of these services are extremely stable, I believe all have been in
operation for more than 3 years, and these are only the most popular.  This
is 2008, not 1998, nobody needs to pay to host free software anymore.

<http://developer.berlios.de/>

> As often stated on this list, you cannot always state the DFSG-freeness
> of a license, you need to apply the rules to a *work*. If the sources
> are several gigabytes large, then the price of distributing them becomes
> unacceptable and the work may not be DFSG-free.

I'll point out, again, the phrase "standard or customary means of
facilitating copying of software" in section 13; it is neither standard nor
customary for a modified version of code which is several gigs in size to be
distributed in full.  We upload a patch or create a VCS branch for our
modifications and the license is fufilled.