Hi Raphael,

You hereby have my permission to remove the clause referring to me, [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

Richard J. Wagner

On Sep 25, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Raphael Geissert wrote:

Hello everybody,

At Debian we have recently stumbled upon a "hidden"[0] clause[1] in a source code file included in PHP since php4. Since this clause is not free in terms of the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)[2] it prevents us (Debian) from
distributing the php interpreter.

I am thereby asking for your permission to remove the clause; but I would like you to give permission to *anybody* and not just Debian, as otherwise it
would be a violation of the DFSG.

Although Shawn Cokus and Richard J. Wagner stated that it would be _nice_ to
CC them it would be nice to get an OK by them too.

When replying please send a copy of the message to, at least, the addresses in
Reply-To.

[0] It was not noticed until a couple of weeks ago by Jan Wagner, who reported
the problem at http://bugs.debian.org/499471

[1]  From php's ext/standard/rand.c:
       The original code included the following notice:

       When you use this, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   with an appropriate reference to your work.

       It would be nice to CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
[EMAIL PROTECTED] when you write.

[2] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Yours sincerely,
Raphael Geissert