On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 11:03:48AM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 12:24:17PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > Given that the package is no longer in sid, I had a little trouble preparing
> > the backport from the git repository. That's sorted now, and the update
> > should go out today or tomorrow, once testing on my part has been done.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> What does it mean that the package is no longer in sid?
> It appears that 102 is the main version for all the stable Debians,
> so it's surprising to me that there was trouble.

He is referring to the fact that 115.x.x ESR has been uploaded to sid.
The normal LTS workflow is to take the sid version of firefox-esr and
backport it. However, the transition from 102.x.x -> 115.x.x will
require a bunch of toolchain work to come with it. We normally do this
once per year, but at a time where it won't hold up the update of
firefox-esr. Emilio probably meant that the choices were:

- delay the buster update to do a bunch of toolchain updates (could take
  quite a long time)
- grab the latest 102.x.x from git, which wouldn't be quite as quick as
  a normal update for us (since the unstable packaging work wouldn't
  have been done on it, as the maintainer already moved to the next
  version), but is still much quicker than waiting on the toolchain
  stuff

Regards,

-Roberto
--