> Currently this is an optional feature: at start-up a window appears
> > asking the user if he wants to update from the PPA . Choice is left to
> > the user (Yes/No buttons). Is this forbidden by Debian policy? if yes,
> > i will deactivate this window.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Yann
> Yann,
>
> I didn't check the Debian policy regarding this issue, but...
> Just think about it. We already have software in Gnome to
> let us know when there are updates for any software we
> use in Debian.

Please note that Boot-Repair is a special software:

- Boot-Repair is mostly used by users who have just tried installing Linux
for the first time
- Boot-Repair is often a "last-chance" tool before the user formats
everything, or abandons Linux installation to return to Windows... (e.g.
when installing Ubuntu breaks Windows boot, or GRUB menu doesn't appear).
- Boot-Repair is mostly used in live-CD (when no access to any OS), and the
default Update tools will update all packages, which is useless, very long,
and even problematic (kernel updates require reboot).
- new boot problems appear frequently (especially new PC with UEFI boots...
), so i think it's important to give the user an easy way to update
Boot-Repair (i repeat: update is optional and not silent).

I repeat i will deactivate it if needed by Debian Policy, i simply hope you
understand why i added this update option.

Regards and best wishes for 2012 !
Yann