Russ Allbery wrote:
> * The formatting of the man page isn't great.  There are a few places that
>   seem to have spurious line breaks (the --append documentation, for
>   example),

That appears to have been some spurious spaces in bad places in the
man page.  Fixed.

>   and it's traditional to have a blank line between each option
>   documented in OPTIONS.  The second problem at least can be fixed by just
>   deleting the .PD 0 command (or at least moving it down to the formatting
>   section, if it's still desireable for the resource specifiers.

Nice!  Agreed.  Fixed.  I moved it down so that the resource
specifiers are still compactly listed.  I think it is still useful and
better that way there.  (Now wondering about using that modification
on the 'date' man page for its format section. <grin>)

> Also, I realize this is a matter of taste, but personally I always use:
>
> .\" For nroff, turn off justification.  Always turn off hyphenation; it makes
> .\" way too many mistakes in technical documents.
> .if n .ad l
> .nh

I am often annoyed by poor hyphenation in man pages!  When I am
quoting man pages in email I always fix up the hyphenation manually.
So I very much think this is a good improvement.

> for all manual pages, for the entire file (not just for SYNOPSIS).  Try
> this patch and see what you think:

I like it!  That should definitely go in.

Bob