Hi Paul,

may I add my talk about "How to attract new developers for your team"[1]
(which got even subtitles[2]) to your list.  I'm fully convinced that
the problem of the kind of "general" sponsoring has something to do with
a lack of positive motivation / interest of sponsors to pick "any
random" package.  If you are connected to a team with some shared
interest you could have way better chances.  To stress this and to make
people (specifically sponsees) aware of potentially motivated teams where
team members are not simply lurking on debian-mentors list by my
Sponsering of Blends[3] effort and I'd like to quote Asheesh's remark in
my talk[2]:

   So it seems like we should try to run around all of the users of
   Debian and who have friends who are DDs and say "Is there a topic
   in Debian you care about? Create a Blend today!"

This is what I'm doing since ten years and I have proven with numbers
and graphs that this is helpful even in very less populated (compared to
say multimedia, games, GIS, etc.) topics like medicine[4].  In short: If
stop considering Debian as a assembly of single independant packages (at
least packaging wise not regarding technical dependencies) but rather
consider it sets of packages created by strong teams to fit certain user
groups interests it comes naturally to me that sponsees will find
sponsors in those teams.  However, my ten year experience tells me that
this approach seems to be complicated to implement (otherwise we would
have more Blends).

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/events/987.en.html