Hi,

after a few weeks of other leisures i came back to Debian
packaging for a new upstream release of my software.
Currently i feel plain stupid because i fail to install
a patch which shall silence a few lintian warnings about
the man pages.

I unpacked the upstream tarball, moved it to the parent of the
unpacked upstream tree and renamed it to libisoburn_1.4.2.orig.tar.gz.
Then i copied the ./debian subtree from my local packaging svn
instance into the unpacked upstream tree.
I wrote a new version section into debian/changelog and removed
an obsolete patch from debian/patches.

All is well as long as i have no debian/patches. I can build
and install the .deb files (debuild -S, debuild -b, dpkg -i).

But if i make changes to the upstream files and run
  debclean
  dpkg-source --commit
then afterwards
  debuild -S
fails with
  dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
  dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see
/tmp/libisoburn_1.4.2-1.diff.ARfBHF

The file /tmp/libisoburn_1.4.2-1.diff.ARfBHF contains the reverse
changeset of the patch which was created by dpkg-source --commit.
All affected files have new timestamps and show the old content
before my changes. I.e. the state as in
  libisoburn_1.4.2.orig.tar.gz

The error abort of  debuild -S  persists even after a previous
failed run restored the old content of the files.
The problem vanishes only after i remove the patch.

So i appears that my patch does influence the expectations of
dpkg-source. But it either does not get applied after unpacking
the source, or the result is in some way overridden by a later
copying from original tarball.

I created the work directory tree by

  cd ~
  wget http://files.libburnia-project.org/releases/libisoburn-1.4.2.tar.gz
  cd ...path.../debian_dir
  tar xzf ~/libisoburn-1.4.2.tar.gz
  mv ~/libisoburn-1.4.2.tar.gz libisoburn_1.4.2.orig.tar.gz
  cd libisoburn-1.4.2
  cp -a ...path.../svn/libisoburn/debian debian

The last action copied the ./debian directory of the local SVN
instance of
  svn://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-libburnia/trunk/libisoburn/
(Changes to ./debian will later be copied back and committed to SVN.)

As said: Except the patching problem, this setup does what i expect.
I deem it quivalent to what is described in
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html
Am i wrong ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas