On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:03:48PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:05:33PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> >   o the objinfo patch. May well be included in the next (3.08?) release
> >   though.
>
> What do tuo mean with "objinfo patch"? If you mean the patch that change

Well, the one that installs objinfo and contains the manpage.

> the executable name it's ok to wait for it. But if you mean the patch
> that add support for native code objects (.cmx, .cmxa) why not ship it
> already from 3.07?

Err, i am speaking about upstream 3.07 here, not the debian package. I
don't remember exactly about the native code stuff, so i believe it has
been accepted upstream, but you can check if you want.

My intention were to make the ocaml debian patches as small as possible,
and have as much of it as possible integrated upstream. Based on this,
the current smallish size of the debian/patches directory is a great
success. The only remaining stuff is things that Xavier would not accept
for 3.07, but which may go into future CVS.

> >   o the libdir_version patch. May be included in 3.08 also, maybe
> >   together with the -suffix patch which is not included here. In another
> >   form though.
>
> Does this mean that ocaml libraries will be installed back again in
> /usr/lib/ocaml instead of /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07?

No, this is upstream i am speaking about.

Xavier has integrated most of the stuff we had in our patch in 3.07,
these two are the only remaining problems. The remaining emacs stuff
will also not be necessary once 3.07 ships.

As such, if you still have things that you would like to have included,
it maybe is still time to have them included in 3.07, but for other
things, like probably the m68k native code stuff, it can easily be added
to a future debian package, and 3.07 will assuredly pick up stuff from
CVS as time pass and problems are found and corrected in 3.07. I have
not managed to convince Xavier to maintain a bugfix branch though.

I hope this clarifies things.

Friendly,

Sven Luther