On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 03:50:45PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> ] ] How about the following: we define and use MUST and SHOULD in some
> ] ] appropriate way, and then say:
> ] ]
> ] ]   If a package violates a policy MUST [or the conditions for a SHOULD,
> ] ]   if any] then this is either a bug in policy or in the package.  A
> ] ]   maintainer who notices this while creating such a package should
> ] ]   report the bug against what they feel is the appropriate package.
> ] ]
> ] ] Then we can use the bug resolution procedure to fix the problem.
>
> Did you mean to agree with that ?

Yes, I meant that agreed with your whole post, but decided to quote
only the introduction. Apologies for the confusion.

> My wording in my proposal above was very careful to avoid notions like
> `binding', `must', and implications of power.  Rather, it merely says
> that packages and policy should be consistent, and that if they're not
> then one of them should be fixed.

This I agree with. However I believe that there is a perception at
present that if policy does not seem to fit your package, you may simply
ignore it. I do not think that works.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]