On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 03:35:57PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:

> > Can Multihead work at the moment without UseFBDev though? I'm unsure
> > whether I can't get VGA out to work because my config file isn't quite
> > correct,
>
> You could put it up somewhere along with the log file to verify that.

O.K. - I have put my config file at www.hollo.org/linux/XF86Config-4-ibook.
This is the config with which I succeeded in making the monitor come
out of sleep mode, but I can't seem to make it do even that any more.

Commenting out the "UseFBDev" lines -- makes the LCD screen wavy,
but CRT still doesn;t work.

I'm using the radeon binaries from your website, a fairly recent benh
kernel (15th September), and the radeon framebuffer is compiled into
the kernel. The relavent kernel bootup messages are (the "no monitor
connected" message appears whether or not an external monitor is
connected at bootup):

  ibook kernel: radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=16615 from OF
  ibook kernel: radeonfb: detected DFP panel size from EDID: 1024x768
  ibook kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
  ibook kernel: Registered "ati" backlight controller, level: 1/15
  ibook kernel: radeonfb: pm reg @50, clk_pwrmgt: 13400, pll_pwrmgt: 1000007,
mdll_cko: 43c
  ibook kernel: radeonfb: ATI Radeon M6 LY  DDR SGRAM 16 MB
  ibook kernel: radeonfb: DVI port LCD monitor connected
  ibook kernel: radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected

Finally, the X startup log is:

===================
X: warning; /dev/dri has unusual mode (not 755) or is not a directory.
warning: process set to nice value 0 instead of -10 as requested

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (4.2 tree from Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) / X
Window System
Release Date: 11 March 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-benh-rmap12f-xfs-o1k3-lolat ppc [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Oct  3 23:09:00 2002
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) RADEON(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)
(EE) RADEON(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            No Symbols named "rightaltkey" in the include file
> "macintosh/de"
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

James