> If you're running Debian on powerpc, you'll find this list to be really
> useful, so I would subscribe anyways...
I hope not to need much help once it's installed...  :-)

> > I'm a newbie who enjoys debian and got sick of os x, but am having trouble
> > installing debian for the first time.  I have an iBook 600 MHz (with ATI
> > rage video card, in case that helps identify the model), and a brand new
> > set of stable potato powerpc disks,
>
> Potato?  Are you sure?  The below sounds like woody (which is what you
> should be using).
No, I'm not sure.  I installed from iso's obtained from one of the mirrors
at http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

> > and have tried booting with the
> > 'install', 'install24', and 'install24-safe' options (uname says
> > 2.4.18-newpmac), which all result in the same behavior:
> >
> > The installer boots fine, but claims I have no hard drive.
>
> What linux image are you using?  If you're using a custom linux image,
> you MUST disable devfs.  Otherwise the installer won't see your hard
> disk, which is the symptoms you describe.
nothing custom.  Everything was for stable.  How do I check if devfs is
enabled and/or disable it?  should I go to google for this question instead
of asking?  :-)

> You should use the official linux image from here:
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/linux.bin

I'm not sure how to make use of this.  Again, apologies, I am a newbie.  It
looks like I should either make floppies (not an option) from that
directory, or else burn all of it onto a cd and somehow make that bootable,
but I've very little experience to go with here.

> > IN from bad port cfc at c00f5598
> I think this is "normal".
okay, thanks.

> BTW, Have you actually tried booting from an official CD image?
Yes, or at least I hope what I got was an official CD image.  I found it by
going for "stable" cd's via http.  I'm not sure anymore where I got the
impression that there was a spud involved.

Thanks,
Gremio

--
   ..------~~~--.__     Gregory Adam Marton
  /               c~\   Graduate Student, Natural Language Understanding
  |  /~~--__/  /'\ ~~'  Gremio @     acm.org     mit.edu     ai.mit.edu