On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 04:29:02PM +0100, Johannes Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Can you try the
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/netboot/minimal/2.4/vmlinuz-prep.initrd
> >
> > It should not work (the above is oldworld pmac specific), but we will know
> > if
> > the problem is with the initrd size.
> It didn't work... but I found out what the problem was. I needed to
> upgrade the firmware.

Ok, ...

> Now I can boot the Debian installer image, if I enter
>       root=/dev/ram console=ttyS0,9600
>
> Unfortunately, the pcnet32 driver doesn't work. It detects the network
> card, but it dhclient doesn't get an answer and if I setup an IP manually,
> I can't ping the workstation either.

Please fill a bug report against kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc, and let's get
this fixed. What is the self-built kernel that you did use ?

> With that old 2.4.15 boot disk & debian installer root, the pcnet32 driver
> does work (at least for pings).

Ok.

> I tried the 2.4 vmlinuz-prep.initrd, but it does not seem to support the
> serial console. At least I can't see anything after the 'now booting the
> kernel' message.

Mmm, it should :

  CONFIG_SERIAL=y
  CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

But if we can get the 2.6 pcnet32 driver fixed, it would be nicer, as i don't
like doing lot of work with the 2.4 kernel, which will hopefully be dropped
quickly after the sarge release.

Friendly,

Sven Luther