I have  500mhz and 1.5 ghz G4 PowerBooks and corresponding similar
Powermacs.

I can easily give several examples from my personal experience and my
associates where any of these are too slow

For instance I basicly had just two things I wanted to use with the last
version of Debian stable where I got stuck because my machines were too slow
but I could easily do on a late '06 core2duo $300 MacBook. Java IDE and Krita
to be precise. I tried doing an optimized build of Java for better speed - it
was almost useable, probably fine on a G5 I'd imagine - but after compiling for
hours and hours it was such a complex build and huge filling up my hard drive I
stopped and gave up.

But even so I am considering trying the
Krita build on new Debian stable.  Just for something to do and PowerBook can
be left alone to build while I am away at work / study. But if I were serious I
would definitely get a dual G5, they are cheap these days. Power hogs but for
builds much better why suffer

By the way all these G4s I own have 1GB ram