On 02/13/2017 09:44 PM, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> I'm not a compiler developer, but I've done my share of compiler
> bootstrapping/bug reporting/bug fixing.

Same here. I'm just more involved with gcc on targets like SH, sparc64
and m68k.

> In fact I'm one of the maintainers of LDC (LLVM D compiler), and I've
> bootstrapped the package for armhf/ppc64/ppc64le and working on arm64/powerpc
> and
> other arches to follow (s390x/mips*) when I have the time. I've also done
> quite a few bug reports to gcc upstream (mostly NEON ICEs for armhf). So I
> have a
> pretty good idea of what's involved, though I've only scratched Rust on the
> surface and never actually developed on/for it.

Ok. It first sound like you thought it would be a trivial thing to do.
- From my experience, getting compilers work properly can be quite involved
on non-mainstream architectures. People are normally used to compilers
to be nearly bug free from their experience on x86 targets but that's
often not the case on other architectures. On SH, for example, there
were over 20 bugs to be fixed until the SH backend for gcc-5 was properly
working.

> I know for a fact that there are people pushing for IBM to actively support
> Rust on ppc64*. Whether that works or not, I have no idea, but at least people
> are not idle.

I have heard the same, yes. But the question is whether this is endorsed
by IBM themselves or just some people working at IBM. Unlike Golang, Rust
doesn't have a big usecase which makes it attractive for porters. For Golang,
it's container technology and all the projects around it. Nearly every company
wants to jump the container hypetrain and that's why Golang is coming to
more and more platforms. Plus, Go has a second implementation called
gccgo which reaches even more targets.

> As with all new languages it will take time, but eventually it will get
> there, with a big IF. The biggest(only?) problem with PowerPC in general
> right now
> is hardware availability not lack of interested developers. Developers will
> try anything new if it's decently priced (as ARM/MIPS have already proven).
> Show me a decent 64-bit PowerPC board at ~100-200EUR, Talos was a great idea,
> but about $17k more expensive than it should have been.

The problem with Rust is that there isn't even a stable and fully
supported ARM port despite ARM being one of the largest targets
Linux runs on. x86 is their only tier 1 architecture, the rest
is tier 2 or lower.

If Mozilla wants Rust to be a serious competitor to C++, they will
have to stack up their resources but I doubt they have the finanical
power to do that. They're not Google and their contract with Yahoo
will probably not be extended either now that Yahoo has been bought
by Verizon.

Adrian

- --
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz