On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 03:14:41PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > > The snapshot service is very valuable when it comes to checking older
> > > versions of packages.  For example, it is a very, very good help for
> > > doing security work when older package versions need to be reviewed.

> > Out of curiosity, do you have a sense of how long after a package is dropped
> > from the archive that it ceases being useful to you for security research?

> At least as long as the package is in at least one of {oldstable,
> stable, testing, unstable, experimental}.  However, since there are
> only rare cases of me dealing with removed packages, I can't rely on
> experience.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  When I said "dropped from the archive", I
meant the particular version of the package, not the package as a whole.

> > According to <http://snapshot.debian.net/du/df.png>, it's already exceeded
> > 1.2TB.  That sounds to me like it would be one of the larger direct hardware
> > purchases ever made by the project, so I do think it's a good idea to ask
> > how much of this history is truly needed by the project -- the open-ended
> > 1.2TB and growing of snapshot.d.n, or something more modest, like the 60GB
> > used by the morgue?

> Having source packages available indefinitively would be good.  When
> it comes to space problems, maybe dropping binary packages when the
> version is older than what is in (old)oldstable currently would be an
> option.

At the current rate, that would suggest 3-4TB of usage total... that seems
excessive to me, but if you say all of this data is potentially useful to
you, then I accept that.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer