Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Alexander Schmehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > * Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [060308 09:09]:
> >> I know that some non-Debian people actually ask questions like "I
> >> heard Debian has split and is dead, what will happen in the future?"
> >> From time to time, just because Debian's PR work sucks so much.
> > Any hints, ideas and feedback what we could improve in our PR work?
>
> More information about the status of the next release, for example.
> Looking at the archives of debian-announce, I see that since 2000, the
> number of messages per year has gone down constantly.
> Nowadays, the only messages we see there are announcing a new point
> release or a notice about big *problems* in the project ("Debian
> Security Support in Place", "Some Debian Project machines have been
> compromised").

Don't forget that we have debian-news *and* debian-announce, while
only high-priority announcements are sent to debian-announce.

> Couldn't we just put something nice there? Like news that actually show
> how alive Debian is, reporting about new, shiny software packages in
> testing, with xxxtra-bling! Seriously, good press work isn't when you
> send out a "hrm, still not dead" notice every three of four months.

Yes.  Real news should be announced.  However, what you wrote as
examples doesn't even sound suitable for debian-news to me.

Regards,

        Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.