Thomas Koch wrote:
> > > There's a german association, "Linux user in der Kirche"[1] (Linux user
> > > in the church), which plans to organize a booth on the next big meeting
> > > of the german church in 2010.
> > > They aim is to promote the usage of linux in the administrations of
> > > church communities and of course private use of linux.
> > > The cost of the booth is around 800 Euro, which must be collected from
> > > private sponsorship until december to make the booth happen.
> > >
> > > Maybe debian could sponsor this event?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your engagement for Debian and GNU/Linux in clerical
> > environments.
> >
> > For other events and shows we have always asked the organisers of the
> > event to sponsor the booth for Free Software.  This even worked for
> > highly commercial events such as CeBIT and Systems.  Partially these
> > booths weren't sponsored by the organisers but by companies already
> > maintaining a booth on that particular show.
> >
> > I'm not sure the Debian project should start paying for booths now.
> >
> > I would rather like Debian to help running the booth by providing
> > hardware if needed or booth material such as posters and large signs.
> >
> There's a radical difference between technical exhibitions like CeBIT and the
> Kirchentag: At the Kirchentag most of the exhibitants are non-profit.
> Compared
> to little initiatives supporting schools in poor countries, a linux booth is
> even more on the profit site:
> If people switch to linux there is business to be made in consulting. (Still
> luki is such a small association that there members would not be likely to
> profite from such business.)

It seems to me that these consulting businesses would be good
addresses to ask for sponsorship of a Debian/GNU/Linux booth if there
is no way getting a free booth for a charitable association such as
the Debian Project or the GNU/Linux community.

Regards,

        Joey

--
Have you ever noticed that "General Public Licence" contains the word "Pub"?