Enrico Zini writes ("Re: Formal declaration of weak package ownership in source
packages (was: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers)"):
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 03:42:57PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > It's a lot simpler to keep this metadata outside source package.
> > I endorse this product and/or service.
>
> Here's one way to quickly build a service like this:

Great, thanks for the technical tips.

What's needed to make this actually happen ?

I think the initial proposal is simply to move the metadata currently
in Maintainers and Uploaders into a database which is separate from
the archive.

I guess the initial UI would mirror the existing "DD authority"
process.

Who in the project can decide to do this ?  I think this is probably
the DPL.

After that, we will probably want to further develop the UI and the
maintainership accession flow.

For example, my suggestion of having a "request to join team" button
but allowing any DD to add themselves as a Maintainer of a
solo-maintained package.  Presumably there would have to be a way for
the MIA team to mark someone as "maintainer emeritus" (ie, used to be
a maintainer).

Who would make these UI decisions ?

Ian.

--