Hi Thomas,

> Then use one?

I do use, but several people I know don't.

> The idea is to be able to use unified tooling. Currently, we can't for
> example easily do a mass-commit on all packages. Or apply a new CI test

How do you want to handle permissions? So there is a super user on salsa
who can commit to any repository there? I would be well at least
slightly surprised to see such changes.

> to all packages. And that's even without considering the entry barrier
> for contributing to the Debian archive. In for example FreeBSD, it's a
> way more obvious how to contribute to /usr/ports. In Debian, it's not.

Fine with me, strongly recommend git - anyway, it is already a fact that
it is the de-facto standard, so this is a non-argument. My argument is
for those developers who might have other ways/interests.

> Maybe you could at least consider moving away from Github, and switch to
> a platform based on free software? For example own gitlab instance. Or

Why? All the data is in the git commits and tags. I don't use anything
else there, in particular not issues etc.
So what is your concern besides "religious" github hating?

> anything else. I'm really bothered by Github, like a few of us are.

So be it, but don't put *your* bothering onto others. I am bothered by a
lot of things, too, and I don't ask you to be bothered the same way.

Thanks

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev