On July 25, 2019 9:46:08 AM UTC, Vincent Bernat <ber...@debian.org> wrote:

>hammer
>>>
>>>Without a GR, the outcome is decided by a shouting contest. A GR
>seeems
>>>great to know if people are a majority or not.
>>
>> 50% + 1 of developers mandating details like this to 50% - 1 of
>> developers is a horrible way to solve problems like this.
>
>Still better than 10% mandating details like this to 90%.
>
>> If you want people to do things a certain way, have it solve problems
>> that cause people to decide they want to use it. Once you get rough
>> consensus on the new way, change policy.
>
>So, this is the shouting contest. A few people can post messages and
>make it appear there is no consensus.

Usually consensus doesn't magically appear.  It takes work.  At this juncture
none exists.  The idea of solving this via GR seems to me like an attempt to
avoid doing that work.

I'm curious who from amongst those pushing for this is volunteering to put all
the QA maintained packages in git (or should those be removed)?  If you are
going to mandate this, then I think those are the only two options.

Scott K