Hi,

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Hector Oron wrote:
> > Not sure what the problem with LTS is. I thought companies pay for the
> > extra effort. I think it's a perfectly fine business model.
>
> As a very simple summary, companies pay another company (Debian
> unrelated) to use Debian volunteers time and Debian resources.
> Debian does not get any share of that work.

I'm afraid that this summary is too simple and thus misleading.

* Freexian (the "another company") is not owned by Debian, but it's not
  unrelated to Debian. I funded that company, as a Debian developer, to
  let me contribute to Debian while being paid by customers who are Debian
  users.
* Freexian doesn't "use Debian volunteers", nobody is forced to work for
  Freexian, they all asked to join the team of paid contributors. But
  Freexian pays them for the LTS work, that's correct.
* While we use Debian resources, we are using Debian resources just like
  any other Debian contributor, the fact that we are paid doesn't change
  anything. Many Debian contributors are being paid as part of their work.
  It's just more visible in this case.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer