Le jeudi, 3 octobre 2019, 12.54:53 h CEST Kyle Robbertze a écrit :
> On 2019/10/02 22:17, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > Third: what rules-of-thumb, or guidelines do we want for travel support?
> > In the context of relatively _short_ events (2-5 days), I think we ought
> > put upper limits in term of amounts, and in terms of distance. Put
> > differently: set economical and ecological limits. In this day and age, I
> > don't think Debian should be supporting flying long distances for short
> > events [2]. So we could have a duration-to-distance, or similar,
> > criteria, as well as "qualitative" incentives. I'd prefer Debian to
> > sponsor a 600€ train ride than a 150€ flight, for instance. As a rule of
> > thumb, what about: "Travel distance is max ~400km per event day duration,
> > prefer land transportation where applicable"?
> > (Also, connected to that "distance" question is also "who gets
> > supported?")
>
> A distance limit effectively prevents people from remoter areas of the
> world from attending events unless they organise them themselves or have
> the means to afford internation travel.

Note that my intention was to have a linear relation between duration and
distance; and my 400km factor was perhaps a bad choice.

But sticking to that factor for the merits of example, it would mean:
* 1 day  event: max  400km away
* 2 days event: max  800km away
* 3 days event: max 1200km away
* … etc … you get the idea.

The point of that idea is to encourage longer events and, inversely, to
discourage long travels for short events.

But I understand that it doesn't meet enthusiasm nor consensus; and I do
realize that my own privileged center-european situation makes it clearly
easier for me than for some others. I also arguably picked a prohibitively low
number.

> While I would not expect Debian to sponsor my travel entirely to attend
> a 3 day conference in Europe, often partial funding makes attending
> these events possible for me (when the duration and content makes it
> worth the travel).

Partial funding should often be possible, and encouraged, yes.  But then we
hit the "who have no other means to cover the costs" phrasing: if someone
_can_ spend 800$ to fly, do they really "have no other means to cover" for
1000$, or 1200$ ?

(I have in the past been part of the Bursaries team for DebConf. These
problems are hard™.)

> The trade-off between potential value and distance/means of transport is
> inherently personal and shouldn't be decided by Debian for everyone.

Well.  We're discussing what Debian would financially support, not what Debian
would allow.  Even with this idea implemented (and it doesn't look like it
will), one could fly for as long as they wanted to attend the shortest Debian
event, provided that they would either cover for their travel costs (or only
ask for support from Debian for the maximal amount granted under the
circumstances).

Thank you for bringing a different viewpoint.

Cheers,
        OdyX