On 9/13/19 12:51 PM, Andy Simpkins wrote:
> Just because you, and I, believe that "No Debian contributor should be
> expected or encouraged... ...to use any non-free tools" does not mean
> that we should *prevent* them from doing so.

Though advertising for a non-free service through the VCS fields is
indeed encouraging using such a non-free service.

>>    For example, Vcs-Git fields in source packages must not refer to
>>    proprietary git code management systems.  Non-Debian services are
>>    acceptable here so long as they are principally Free Software.
> Your example strikes of forcing people to use an entirely free system
> for their development process.

Nop. For *sharing* development. That's where there's a huge difference.
If you advertise for a VCS URL, it is to work with others. Otherwise,
why publishing your Git repository on a public place?

> If we are to encourage and support
> freedom that means that we must also accept that other people have the
> freedom to use proprietary git code management systems.

Nobody intend to forbid this, unless you advertise for it in the VCS
URLs, which indeed, is trying to enroll others.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)