On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 20:37 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Donovan Baarda writes:
[...]
> > In the mean time, another alternative is to point your apt/sources.list
> > at an Ubuntu archive and see if you can upgrade python from there...
>
> ugh, I would not try that ... you cannot differentiate between python
> and non-python things ...

I never said it would be easy :-)

You can kind of do this using a combination of /etc/apt/preferences and
judicious use of aptitude. Cunning preferences-fu can favour most
packages in Debian, except python* packages from Ubuntu. You can then
use aptitude to fine-tune pick and choose which versions you want to
install. This will probably reveal nasty dependencies of the python
packages on bucketloads of other Ubuntu libs etc, but you might get
lucky...

--
Donovan Baarda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/