On 08/04/2014 11:30 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Aug 04, 2014, at 11:05 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm doing my best to add Python 3 support everywhere I can.
>
> \o/
>
>> I've been doing this for months already. I know it wont be possible to fix
>> everything. Currently, I have 2 blockers which I am working on:
>>
>> - python-memcache
>> - beautifulsoup
>
> Would it be better to port to dependencies to beautifulsoup4 which is already
> Python 3 compatible upstream and available in Debian as python{,3}-bs4?  The
> upstream docs claim it's pretty compatible, albeit with some deprecated
> (non-PEP 8 compliant) names.
>
> http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/bs4/doc/#porting-code-to-bs4
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

Yeah, I saw it. Though it's looking like there's a few changes in the
API (one would need to "import beautifulsoup4" instead of "import
beautifulsoup" to begin with, but I do expect even more...).

Also, fixing version 3 of beautifulsoup doesn't look very easy. It needs
sgmllib, which is removed from Python 3, and it doesn't feel right to
maintain sgmllib as a Python module for Python 3 (I tried, and with a
few hacks, it works though...).

I'll probably have a look into this for the packages that I maintain
which are using beautifulsoup. Is there anyone who wish to package
beautifulsoup4, or should I go ahead and do it if I see it's easy to
switch from version 3 to version 4?

Cheers,

Thomas