It's not an accurate characterization that distutils was removed simply because
it wasn't maintained.

It was as fragile library, and it was difficult to make any changes to it
because a number of things had implemented themselves by reaching into
distutils and randomly monkeypatching various aspects. This made it hard to
maintain it _at all_, because when people had tried to improve it, it caused
ecosystem wide breakages until things like setuptools, numpy.distutils, etc got
patched again.

So the unofficial policy became "do not touch distutils", for fear of causing
these breakages.

In the interim the packaging toolchain evolved to the point that having
distutils in the stdlib was no longer of general benefit, and in fact made
things worse because people had grown accustomed to things like `from distutils
import setup` being transparently monkeypatched to be setuptools under the
covers.

Ultimately, distutils had diverged so far from modern packaging tooling (due to
the unofficial policy of not touching it), that it's existence was more or less
a footgun, and it's only real purpose anymore was to be an implementation
detail of other libraries, which you had to install from PyPI, so it was
decided it was better to remove it rather than leave it around.