On 24/07/2024 00:34, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 04:38:47PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
>> Is there no way, especially in the beginig, to patch out funcionality?
>>
>> Stuff like volvo on call doesn't seem very vital to run the thing.
>>
>> I'd focus on identifying the real dependencies and prioritize rest later on,
>> when you can get the minimal thing running perhaps.
>
> Hi Edward,
>
> Can I add: the larger task is not the initial packaging (though that
> itself is a very large task); it's the ongoing maintenance of these
> 666 packages.  Who is going to do that work (including ensuring that
> any resulting updates don't break anything higher up the dependency
> chain)?  Until that question has an answer, I would strongly recommend
> following Salvo's suggestions.  Then if someone really wants feature
> XYZ, that would be a good time to package the relevant module.
>
> It might be that HomeAssistant is too big a task for Debian to take on
> unless there's a small group of interested maintainers able to do it;
> perhaps there could be a HomeAssistant Team?

>> In data martedì 23 luglio 2024 13:25:53 CEST, Edward Betts ha scritto:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am proposing the addition of Home Assistant, a Python-based smart home
>>> platform, to Debian. Home Assistant requires extensive hardware integrations
>>> and thus has a significant number of Python module dependencies.
>>>
>>> Upon review, I've identified 666 Python modules required by Home Assistant
>>> that are not yet available in Debian.
(...)

Hi, just an additional data point:

[HAOS], or Home Assistant Operating System, quote: "is *not* based on a regular
Linux distribution like Ubuntu. It is built using Buildroot and it is optimized
to run Home Assistant."

Based on the fact that upstream went out of their way to develop a dedicated
distro that's not a derivative of any other, and frequently recommending against
installing HA in any other way in the docs, there is likely limited support from
upstream for a Debian packaged suite.

[HAOS]: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system

--
Sdrager,