On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:40:00PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> I do not see how these scripts could ever have been useful in
> debian/rules. Nevertheless, if you feel I should have sent the scripts
> to devscripts, I do not mind doing forwarding the scripts there.

There are various teams using it from some debian/rules target (even
though not during build, as my reference to that might have
implied). IIRC the GNOME team used to have some corresponding snippet in
a CDBS extension and in the OCaml team we have the same (even though we
do not actively use it).

> I can see how you might have come to this conclusion, but rest assured.
> I do trust changelogs as a documentation of who-did-what. It was a
> question of us setting with a list of some 50 user-names and wanted to
> know who was active.
>   We noticed that we could find the user-name in the emails to the
> commit logs, which solved our problem of mapping (user-)names to
> packages. So it was a question of what data I had available.

ACK, I see, so this was more related to the "get rid of inactive alioth
accounts" than to "let's clean up Uploaders".

> Nevertheless, it sounds like there is little interest in the mailing
> list scanner, so I will put that away for now.

Oh no, it is interesting, I just tried to KISS :-)

> I am using dpkg's perl modules for parsing the changelog, so it is
> already pretty straight forward. The reason why it only checks the
> signature line is because it is a prototype.
>   It already allows you to specify a regex instead of an email provided
> you invoke grep-dctrl yourself. However, it still only checks the
> signature line. I know how to fix it and can do it when I get about 30
> minutes to do a bit of perl.

In case you need a reference, the "minechangelogs" script (by Enrico
Zini) that we use in the NM process already does something like
that. I've never looked at the code, but you can find it here:

  svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nm/trunk/nm-templates/minechangelogs

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

z...@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/