Hej Vincent,

Am Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2024, 01:02:28 CEST schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
[...]
> In particular, "apt install libqt6core6t64" wants to remove
> qt6-wayland, but if I try "apt install libqt6core6t64 qt6-wayland",
> then the upgrade is fine. So there seems to be really something
> wrong with the Qt package relationships.

The dependencies of Qt are fine, you just ended up in an unfortunate
situation that makes it look as if the dependencies in Qt are wrong.

The upgrade from Qt 6.4 to 6.6 involves a number of Break+Replaces, but
that doesn't mean anything is wrong.

In your first example, you only wanted to upgrade libqt6core6t64. The
thing here is that there are multiple solutions about what to do with
the reverse dependencies. Some solutions remove a lot of them and
install as little as possible, others replace a bunch of libs and remove
fewer packages.
You asked apt to upgrade libqt6core6t64 and that is exactly what apt
did. The issue is that the proposed solution is correct, but it's just
not your preferred one.
In your second example, removing all those libraries without replacing
them is not a viable option, because that would make wireshark
uninstallable. Therefore, apt installs a number of libs to satisfy the
dependencies of wireshark.

So in both cases, apt proposes a solution that does exactly what you
asked it for. In the first example, there are multiple solutions and apt
happened to pick one that you don't want. Why it picked that one and not
another one, I do not know. Maybe it found this solution quicker.
But all that doesn't mean that the dependencies in Qt are wrong. In
fact, all the libs that apt wants to remove are not compatible with
libqt6core6t64 6.6.2 and therefore removing them is correct.

I absolutely do not see that this is a problem with Qt's dependencies.
It's just that apt gives you a correct solution that you don't like and
hence have to adjust the upgrade command slightly. But nothing is wrong
with Qt's dependencies.

You can either close this bug or you can re-assign the bug to apt and
turn it into a wishlist item suggesting that apt give you more than 1
solution in such cases.

--
Med vänliga hälsningar

Patrick Franz