On Monday 16 June 2014 12:43:25 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Great -- thanks Sune for the feedback.  It is just from previous
> comments I was not sure if KDE is still relying/using virtuoso.
> But if you state so -- must be so.

There is a move away from virtuoso - but the kde stack in stable uses virtuoso
and if users should have a chance to migrate their data out, they need a kde
stack that can communicate with it.

> Do you think it would be feasible to proceed for now with a
> versioned (e.g.  virtuoso-7) source package for virtuoso while excluding
> all the non-versioned meta- packages, thus providing recent virtuoso for
> those users who want it, while keeping KDE team and users happy?

If everytihng is properly versioned, I don't see a issue with providing an
extra source package, and we could probably even strip down the kde-virtuoso
source package from a lot of the 'generic components'. It is really just the
odbc driver and the virtuoso executable that kde relies on. I think patches
would be more than welcome.

> what components of KDE require virtuoso? (only napomuk?) and which
> tools/libraries in particular?

It is the nepomuk/soprano chain that requires it. and it is used by the
activities system, by the file manager (dolphin), the image viewer (gwenview),
the mail stack and probably some I forgotten. But everything is happening thru
nepomuk and soprano.

oh. and the Debian Krap Team is for packages we don't really love but have to
care for anyways.

/Sune
--
I didn’t stop pretending when I became an adult, it’s just that when I was a
kid I was pretending that I fit into the rules and structures of this world.