On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 06:15:00AM +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Control: tags -1 moreinfo
>
> Peter Pentchev:
> > Package: release.debian.org
> > Severity: normal
> > User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
> > Usertags: unblock
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a pre-approval request for dante to fix a long-standing
> > bug that makes the first installation of the dante-server binary
> > package fail, since the dante-server service cannot possibly be
> > started with the default config file.  The bug - #862988 - was
> > reported as "important", but I raised its priority to "serious",
> > and I should have fixed it a long time ago.
> >
> > I'm attaching the proposed debdiff, a targeted fix that lets
> > the initial installation succeed even though the service fails
> > to start.  If it is approved, I'll upload the package and let
> > you know when the time comes to really unblock it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time!
> >
> > G'luck,
> > Peter
> >
> > [...]
>
> Hi,
>
> The debdiff adds an error handler for the postinst script generated by
> dh_installinit.  But the error seen in the bug (#862988) shows an error
> for starting the service via systemd.
>
> I do not understand how adding an error handler for the sysvinit script
> would fix that bug.  Could you perhaps help me spot what I am missing?

Thanks for the quick reply!

The error handler is invoked for systemd services, too - it's part of
an "invoke-rc.d #SCRIPT# start || #ERROR_HANDLER#" command, and invoke-rc.d
takes care of starting the service in the init-system-dependent way.
With systemd (as tested using strace on my laptop), invoke-rc.d runs
systemctl directly (after checking for /run/systemd/system), and that's
how we get to the systemd service failure.  On a SysV init system,
invoke-rc.d would have invoked /etc/init.d/danted with the same result.

Even if invoke-rc.d did not know about systemctl, it would still have tried
to run /etc/init.d/danted start, and then the systemd redirection in
/lib/lsb/init-functions.d/40-systemd would have still started the systemd
service.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net r...@freebsd.org p...@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13