Hi Drew,

On 30/06/17 10:32, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Package: release.debian.org
> User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
> Usertags: binnmu
> Severity: normal
>
> nmu petsc_3.7.5+dfsg1-4 . ANY . unstable . -m "Rebuild against openmpi 2.1.1"
>
> as said on irc, I don't know why that check is so strict, but better safe
> than sorry
> and lets the stack migrate

Why does petsc need such a strict dependency on openmpi? If openmpi breaks the
ABI, the SONAME and package name will change and hence a rebuild will obviously
be necessary without this hack. But if it didn't break the ABI, do we really
need these rebuilds? Can't we just drop the check in petsc, or will something
break?

Cheers,
Emilio