Dear all,

If I interpreted the last mail I got right transition to GTK3 is now
deemed "important".

Unfortunately wxMaxima is only barely usable if the combination wxgtk3.0
and GTK3 is used:

  * Scroll Wheels and Two-Finger scroll are broken in this combination,
    if Wayland is used (934386
    <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=934386>) and
  * If a horizontal scrollbar is visible all custom controls (e.G.
    wxMaxima's worksheet) flicker badly (934386
    <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=934386>)

I assume these bugs limit the usability of other applications, as well,
but might not be visible in the first tests after packaging; On the
application's side even with the help of the wxWidgets community I
failed to find a workaround:

  * If you manually enable double-buffering of wxMaxima's worksheet
    instead of letting wxWidgets decide if the compositor already
    provides double-buffering the worksheet goes completely blank.
  * If you disable double-buffering it flickers.
  * If you let wxWidgets decide if double-buffering is necessary it
    flickers, as well.
  * If you try to do a manual double-buffering: You render the visible
    part of the worksheet into a bitmap and then blit the bitmap into
    the window the bitmap is correctly generated and contains the given
    worksheet portion. But blitting the bitmap into the output window
    results in a black window.

Hence not having to much debian experience my question is: "How
important is important?"

If wxMaxima otherwise would be dropped from debian I am willing to
switch to a flickering version that uses GTK3. But if I don't occur this
risk I would rather stay at GTK3 until wxGTK 3.2 is released - which
will fix this issue. The wxWidgets maintainers told me that wxGTK 3.2
will be released "soon". But the same was true a year ago - which I
normally would be fine with: wxGTK 3.1 works fine, the combination of
wxGTK 3.0 and GTK2 works fine, too - and it is wise to release a library
when it is ready, not according to an arbitrary schedule.

Kind regards,

   Gunter.