On Sun, 2020-04-26 at 16:48 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 02:26:18PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I failed to update wireless-regdb for some time, as it needed some
> > significant work to prepare for the regulatory database being directly
> > loaded by the kernel (instead of by crda).  This was introduced in
> > Linux 4.15, but is currently disabled in all Debian suites.  It will
> > be enabled starting with 5.5.
> >
> > The version now in unstable has:
> >
> > 1. regulatory.bin: loadable by crda, trusted by Debian crda
> > 2. regulatory.db-debian, regulatory.db.p7s-debian:
> >    loadable by kernel, trusted by future Debian kernels
> > 3. regulatory.db-upstream, regulatory.db.p7s-upstream:
> >    loadable by kernel, trusted by upstream and future Debian kernels
> > 4. regulatory.db, regulatory.db.p7s: alternative links for either
> >    (2) or (3)
> >
> > So this should be backward-compatible with all supported Debian
> > releases, with one exception:
> >
> > On a system that has a recent kernel and (3) from elsewhere, *and*
> > also a currently unused wireless-regdb package, upgrading
> > wireless-regdb will effectively replace (3) with (2), which is not
> > trusted by their kernel.  They will need to run update-alternatives to
> > fix this (this is documented in README.Debian).

I didn't actually test this, but I have now.  In fact, update-
alternatives will *not* replace /lib/firmware/regulatory.db but will
issue warnings.  Package installation still succeeds.

> Is this something that can be detected from e.g. maintainer scripts, to
> show some kind of hint to the affected user?

I think that the current upgrade behaviour is safe.  However I should
probably implement replacement with the "upstream" alternative in case
regulatory.db is already present.

> > The update for (1) definitely should be delivered to all suites, but
> > I'm undecided whether the other files should be included.  Please
> > advise what I should do.
> >
> I guess our options for stable are:
> a. ship 1/2/3/4 in a point release
> b. ship an update for 1 in a point release, ship 1/2/3/4 in backports
>
> For option b, can we reasonably have the backports kernel Break old
> wireless-regdb,

It already does, in the version that's in backports-NEW.

> to nudge apt into updating that to the backport too?  Or
> is that more likely to get wireless-regdb removed than anything else?

I don't know.  I have updated wireless-regdb in buster-backports, so
the recommended "apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64"
will work.  But upgrades might not.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Design a system any fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.