Hi Ondřej,

On 12-01-2021 12:40, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> I guess we are going to release with PHP 7.4 then.  Not the ideal
> choice, but I will do whatever I can to support it.

That's correct.

> However, I would like to get an official statement from the release team
> what's their position, so we can go forward. Pretty please?

The transition freeze has started, so we'll not transition to php8.0 in
bullseye.

> Also an advice on how to proceed next time this happens. The timing of
> our freeze and new PHP release coincidentally goes together. Should I
> start the transition with alpha/beta/rc instead of the first final release?

For next time I advice:

1) Most importantly: communicate your plans earlier to the Release Team
(and relevant other Teams; the fact that you surprised an active PHP
maintainer wasn't a good sign to us).

2) Working with alpha/beta/rc can start early in experimental,
especially as, like in this case, there is considerable fall out. The
fall out needs to be identified (with rebuilds and autopkgtests (see 3)
and should ideally be fixed before the transition start, but at least
bugs need to be filed, ideally with patches or update instructions.
Experimental is meant for this. In the end, it's your call as a
maintainer if you request to start the transition already with alpha,
beta or rc releases.

3) Adding a new php version to experimental apparently only really shows
it's fall out if also php-defaults is updated, I recommend to do that
early too, as the experimental pseudo excuses will also tell you how
autopkgtests are faring with that change, which is extremely useful.

Paul